Eliza B. Kirkbride Elementary
2020-2021 School Year
Revision Date 05/18/2020
The parents, students, and staff of Kirkbride School partnered together to develop this
school-parent compact for achievement. Parents are encouraged to attend annual revision
meetings held each Spring to review the compact and make suggestions based on student needs
and school improvement goals. This meeting was held on April 25, 2019. Parents are also
encouraged to participate in the School Family Engagement survey that is also used as a tool to
collect parent feedback regarding the current Title I programs, policies and family engagement.
To understand how working together can benefit your child, it is first important to understand the
district’s and school’s goals for student academic achievement.
THE SCHOOL DISTRICT OF PHILADELPHIA ANCHOR GOALS:
1. 100% of students will graduate, ready for college and career.
2. 100% of 8-year-olds will read on grade level.
3. 100% of schools will have great principals and teachers.
4. SDP will have 100% of the funding we need for great schools, and zero deficit.
Kirkbride School’s GOALS:
1. Early Literacy – At least 70% of Kindergarten students and 50% of 1st and 2nd grade students will
score at target by the Spring aimswebPlus assessment.
2. Early Literacy – 100% of Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade students will demonstrate one year of
growth through a comparison of Q1 and Q4 independent reading levels.
3. Climate – At least 90% of students will have zero out-of-school suspensions.
4. Math – No more than 30% of students Gr. 6-8 and 4th – 5th will score Below Basic on the Math PSSA
5. Climate – At least 60% of students will attend 95% of days or more.
Page 1 of 3
To help your child meet the district and school goals, the school, you, and your child will work
Kirkbride School will:
1. Hold parent-teacher conferences to provide an opportunity for parents and teachers to discuss progress
and any concerns:
Report Card Conference Dates
2. Provide parents with frequent reports on their children’s progress.
Parents will receive monthly progress reports concerning their children’s strengths / weaknesses.
Parents may be notified more frequently as deemed necessary by the teacher. In addition, parents
will receive regularly scheduled progress reports via report card conferences.
3. Provide parents with reasonable access to staff.
In an effort to accommodate parents, teachers are available as early as 7:00am and as late as 5:00pm,
with advance notice. Teachers are available to conference with parents during school hours.
Parents are afforded the opportunity to have a telephone conference during evening hours and
4. Provide parents with opportunities to volunteer and participate in their child’s class, and to observe
classroom activities, as follows:
All parents are welcome to volunteer and participate in the Home & School at Kirkbride and are able
to observe their children’s classroom instruction. Parents are encouraged to volunteer and may
request a classroom observation at any time.
We, as parents, will:
● Monitor attendance.
● Make sure that homework is completed.
● Monitor amount of television my child watches.
● Volunteer in my child’s classroom.
● Participate, as appropriate, in decisions relating to my child’s education.
● Promote positive use of my child’s extracurricular time.
● Stay informed about my child’s education and communicate with the school by promptly reading
all notices from the school or the school district either received by my child or by mail and
respond, as appropriate.
● Serve, to the extent possible, on policy advisory groups, such as being on the School Advisory
Page 2 of 3
● Do my homework every day and ask for help when I need it.
● Read at least 30 minutes every day outside of school time.
● Give to my parents or guardian all notices and information received by me from my school every
● Follow school rules and be respectful of adults and classmates.
● Come to school each day on time, prepared and willing to do what is asked towards the
improvement of our academic achievement.
● Wear school uniform as outlined in the school uniform policy
COMMUNICATION ABOUT STUDENT LEARNING:
Kirkbride School is committed to frequent two-way communication with families about children’s
learning. Some of the ways you can expect us to reach you are:
● Class newsletters to parents
● Parent Portal
● Teacher websites or other web-based communication resource
● Parent Teacher conferences
● Weekly folders
● Emails to parents on student’s progress
● Text messaging
● Phone calls and Robo-calls
● Translations are available, as needed
ACTIVITIES TO BUILD PARTNERSHIPS:
Kirkbride School offers ongoing events and programs to build partnerships with families.
● School Advisory Council
● Parent-Teacher Conferences
● Parent Workshops
● Parent Resource Center
● Volunteering / Observing
● Open House
Page 3 of 3